Thursday, September 10, 2009

Project Money Pit!

I finally have my building permit in hand and we are gearing up to start the renovations on Little Tree Tops.

The first review of the plans by the code enforcement officer revealed that I didn't have windows on the second floor that met the building code for fire emergencies. So back to the drawing board we went and the architect came up with a new window design.

The second review brought up a new issue that I couldn't do the renovation project if I was within 75 feet of a stream. Fortunately I'm more than 150 feet from the nearest stream.

Just when I thought I had cleared all of the hurdles and had the remodeling contractor all lined up and ready to go I got an email from the code enforcement officer that it looked like the house didn't have the right set back distances from the property lines! Fortunately it looks like that was just a problem with the scale of the drawing she was using to estimate the distances. The next morning I went out and measured everything...twice!

So now we are official and ready to go. All of the staging materials and the dumpster will be on site tomorrow. The next adventure will be to find out what is actually behind the walls...the house hasn't been updated since 1959 so I'm sure we'll find some interesting things as we go along.

No comments: